Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
Maintaining a healthy diet is difficult for anyone. However, as we age, our appetites decline along with our activity levels. This often makes it difficult for seniors to get all the proper micronutrients they need for proper health. A deficiency in micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) can cause serious health issues, especially for senior individuals.
The Institute of Medicine has established guidelines for the intake of 24 nutrients. While each serves an important role in our overall health, there are six nutrients most seniors are lacking and pose the most risk if proper amounts are not consumed.
Calcium – dairy and leafy greens can deliver this nutrient crucial for maintaining bone density and strength.
Folate – as one of many B vitamins, folate helps reduce signs of aging, helps cognitive functioning, and can even lower depression rates.
Magnesium – nuts, seeds, and whole grains deliver this mineral to help process glucose and regulate blood pressure.
Vitamin B12 – our bodies are constantly regenerating cells where this vitamin plays a critical role in creating healthy DNA and red blood cells.
Vitamin D – seniors may not receive enough sunlight to reap the bone health and immune boosting this important vitamin provides.
Vitamin E – less than 10% of seniors are getting enough vitamin E which supports the immune system and acts as an antioxidant.
There are a number of reasons why seniors may not be getting enough micronutrients. For some, a loss of appetite alone could be enough to starve the body of important vitamins and minerals. Others may forget to include foods that include proper nutrients or have financial constraints limiting their meal selections.
Fortunately, vitamins and minerals may be taken as a supplement. Reasonably priced, supplements can offer an affordable way to get all the vitamins and minerals necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. As with any medical consideration, it is important to speak with a physician to learn where your micronutrient deficiencies may lie, the best way to increase their levels, and if there are any medication or other health concerns to be concerned about.
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets