Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
As technology marches on, the need for us humans to be physically active diminishes more and more every day. Most individuals no longer received enough physical activity during their daily routines. Instead, we find ourselves sitting behind computer screens, televisions, and (someday) self-driving cars for much of the day.
The increased health risks associated with a sedentary lifestyle are reaching frighteningly high levels. In fact, the World Health Organization issued a warning that a sedentary lifestyle may become a top ten leading cause of death and disability in the world!
Fortunately, getting your body back in motion and moving again toward a healthy lifestyle is easy. Here are four easy exercises you can begin doing today to improve your physical health:
Planking – Years of sitting in place can reduce your core strength. Planking involves holding yourself self in a horizontal position using your toes and forearms as support. Your first attempt should only be a few seconds. As you gain strength over time, extend your time in the plank position.
Stretching – A body in motion helps to build strength and improve endurance. However, inserting a stretching routine can keep muscles loose and relaxed. Begin with light neck rolls and move onto arm and hip circles. For good measure, toe-touches and high-reach stretches can complete a stretching routine and make you feel refreshed.
Swimming – Spending time in the water is a low-impact way to get your body moving. Water helps suspend the body and takes the weight off your joints including the hips and knees. Easy laps across the pool and even treading water for short periods of time help get the blood flow moving.
Walking – The simple movement of walking helps improve blood circulation and keeps joints lubricated. If you sit a desk most of the day, try to take a break every hour for a 5-minute stroll around the office. The goal is to get at least 30 minutes of strong walking in every day.
While scheduling time to exercise has its benefits, do not forget to look for ways to inject more exercise to your daily lifestyle. Simple changes, such as parking further away from the grocery store or taking the stairs instead of the elevator are easy ways to get your body in motion. Best of all, you can begin right now!
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets